2021 Reinsurance Call Paper Program
The CAS Reinsurance Research Committee is sponsoring a call for papers related to reinsurance. This program is undertaken every two years in an effort to enhance the actuarial literature on reinsurance topics.
The Committee welcomes papers on any reinsurance-related topic, including but not limited to:
- Cyber risk
- The impact of COVID-19
- Climate change
- Predictive analytics in a reinsurance context
- Catastrophe modeling
Authors of accepted papers may be invited to present their work at the 2021 CAS Seminar on Reinsurance. Accepted papers will be published in the CAS E-Forum. Papers submitted in response to the call will be considered for the Reinsurance Prize, the amount of which is currently $5,000. Both CAS members and non-members are invited to submit proposals for papers.
- Deadline for Proposals By December 18, 2020, authors should submit proposals including the title, a short description of the topic(s) to be addressed, and the approach that will be taken. Proposals should be submitted electronically via email to Brian Fannin at the Casualty Actuarial Society at email@example.com.
- Acceptance of Proposals By January 15, 2021, the Committee will make a decision on all proposals. The number of accepted proposals might be limited. The Committee will contact authors regarding their proposals.
Monitoring Progress A Committee member will be assigned to work with each author to monitor the paper's progress and provide general guidance in completing the paper within the specified timelines. Interim drafts, based on a schedule proposed by the author, may be requested.
- By March 12, 2021, a first draft of the completed paper (including an abstract of no more than 200 words) will be submitted to the assigned Committee member for review and comments.
- By March 26, 2021, all comments on the first draft will have been forwarded to the author.
- Completion Date By April 9, 2021, the Reinsurance Research Committee must receive the completed paper with a 200-word abstract. Authors should also provide the classifications for their papers based on the CAS Research Taxonomy. Each paper will be screened by the Committee to assure its quality of exposition and relevance to the call. The Committee may require further rewriting of the paper to bring it to an acceptable standard.
- Presenting the Paper Authors may be invited to present their papers at the Seminar on Reinsurance, scheduled for June 5-6, 2017 in Hamilton, Bermuda. These authors will be contacted in advance of the meeting regarding their presentations.
Submission Guidelines Papers must be no more than 10,000 words and should be prepared in accordance with the Research Paper Template, and the procedures in the Guide for Submission to CAS E-Forum on the CAS Web Site. Additional guidance for the preparation of technical papers for publication is provided in the Guides for the Submission of Papers on the CAS Web Site. Authors will be required to execute the "Permission to Publish" and/or the “Author Acknowledgement” forms, which formally grants the CAS permission to publish the paper. Authors are encouraged to submit working templates in spreadsheet form for models or methods discussed or developed in their papers and/or PowerPoint presentations incorporating the details of the paper's calculations. The spreadsheets and presentations will be posted on the CAS Web Site along with the paper.
It is also hoped that the authors will submit their papers for publication in Variance, though acceptance of a paper for this program does not guarantee its acceptance for publication in Variance.
- Authors will be required to upload an electronic copy of the paper and will be asked to sign the “Permission to Publish" and “Author Acknowledgement” forms, which formally grant the CAS permission to publish the paper.
The Reinsurance Committee looks forward to receiving proposals in response to the call and is happy to respond to inquiries from interested parties. Questions may be addressed to CAS Research Actuary, Brian Fannin at firstname.lastname@example.org.