October 1, 2020 – September 30, 2021
The schedule of CAS membership dues as approved by the Board of Directors for 2021 is as follows:
Fellows and Associates
For U.S. members who are not also members of the American Academy of Actuaries, an additional $80.00 is added to the CAS dues for the cost of operating the Actuarial Standards Board (ASB) and the Actuarial Board for Counseling and Discipline (ABCD).
A late fee of $100 will be assessed to member dues that have not been paid by January 31, 2021.
Waiver or Deferral of Dues
As prescribed by the CAS bylaws, a member may submit a written request for waiver of dues to the Board of Directors before dues have become six months in arrears citing the reason for the request.
The request for a dues waiver, either partial or full, will be granted in the following situations:
Permanent Dues Waivers
- Attainment of age 70 (full dues waiver).
- Attainment of age 55 and deriving little or no earned income (full dues waiver)
Temporary Dues Waivers
- Retiring before the age of 55, deriving little or no earned income, and volunteering on a committee (CAS or Regional Affiliate), authoring a paper, participating as a panelist, or otherwise contributing to the Society (full dues waiver).
- Retiring before the age of 55, deriving little or no earned income, and not actively contributing to the Society (50% partial dues waiver).
- A Member on temporary leave from the actuarial profession because of active military service. This waiver is for one year and may be renewed each year upon written request.
- A Member on temporary leave from the actuarial profession and deriving little or no earned income because of
- a disability, or
- full-time attendance at an accredited school of higher education, or
- participating in a voluntary humanitarian service (Peace Corps, etc.), or
- raising children or caring for another family member.
A Temporary Waiver granted for any of the reasons listed under item 4 above is for one year and may be renewed four additional years upon written request (maximum of five). Thereafter, additional requests for a temporary dues waiver for the reasons identified in item 4a-4c will require special consideration by the Board. Additional temporary full dues waivers for item 4d, may be granted to a member who is currently volunteering on a committee (CAS or Regional Affiliate), authoring a paper, participating as a panelist, or otherwise contributing to the Society. If not actively contributing to the Society, those members applying under item 4d may be granted unlimited additional 50% partial dues waivers.
There is no lifetime limit imposed for temporary waivers granted under the reasons identified in items 1, 2, 3, and the extension to 4d described in the preceding paragraph.
A member who is unemployed and actively seeking employment may submit a written request for deferral of dues to the Board of Directors before dues have become six months in arrears. The request will be granted for one year and may be renewed for one additional year upon written request. Deferred dues are payable when the member becomes employed.
Other Dues Waiver Requests
The Board will consider written requests for waivers for other reasons and may, at its discretion, by a majority vote waive the dues of a member.
Failure to Pay
Failure to pay dues when no waiver or deferral has been granted will cause the member to be dropped from the rolls and be subject to the reinstatement policy.
Publications for Member with Dues Waived
The rights and privileges appertaining to membership are not affected by a member’s dues-waived or deferred status, with the exception that members in a full dues-waived status may elect to receive the Variance Journals for a fee of $50.00 U.S. Members in a partial dues waived status will continue to receive Variance at no additional charge.
If you wish to request a waiver or deferral of dues, please return the Request for Dues Waiver or Deferral of Dues to the CAS Office, to the attention of Danelle Gee by March 31, 2021.