Continuing Education Policy
The CAS provides continuing education through live events and online content to actuaries and other professionals interested in property, casualty, and similar risk exposures. CAS works to create programs to enhance an actuary’s skills and knowledge and help experienced professionals keep up to date on advances in the field.
Members are encouraged to review the complete CAS Continuing Education Policy [updated March 23, 2015] for all of the details on the CE requirements. A set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are included following the Policy that should answer questions you may have about the Policy.
NOTE - NEW CAS ASSOCIATES PROVIDING ACTUARIAL SERVICES IN THE UNITED STATES: Please go to Section 2.2 of the U.S. Qualification Standards to understand your compliance requirements.
Key Elements of the CAS Continuing Education Policy:
- CE POLICY RULES
- The CAS Continuing Education Policy applies to all ACAS and FCAS members who provide Actuarial Services as defined in the CAS Code of Professional Conduct.
- If applicable, members must meet the requirements of the continuing education requirements established by a Recognized National Standard. Refer to the infograph below.*
- Members must maintain a log of their continuing education activity.
- Members must certify compliance at the end of each calendar year.
- COMPLIANCE STATUS/AUDITS
- The CAS may randomly review a small percentage of the continuing education logs for members who have attested their compliance with the Policy each year.
- The CAS online membership directory includes a heading for CAS Continuing Education; this portion of the membership directory is available to the general public.
- The CE Heading shows members as: Compliant, Not Currently Providing Actuarial Services, or Non-Compliant.
- CAS members who are listed as Non-Compliant with the CAS Continuing Education policy may be subject to administrative and other penalties.
- WHICH CE POLICY TO FOLLOW
- Members may immediately begin to followed the revised CAS CE Policy updated January 2015.
- Members may follow the January 2013 dated CE policy until December 31, 2015.
* "Actuarial Services" are Professional services provided to a Principal by an individual acting in the capacity of an actuary. Such services include the rendering of advice, recommendations, findings, or opinions based upon actuarial considerations.
** Care should be taken since a member making this election may not provide such Services during that year.
*** Recognized National Standards include:
a) Qualification Standards for Actuaries Issuing Statements of Actuarial Opinion in the United States (Including Continuing Education Requirements)
b) CIA Qualification Standard
c) Category 1 of the CPD Scheme of the United Kingdom Faculty and Institute of Actuaries
d) IAAustralia CPD Standard
Note that if providing Actuarial Services in more than one jurisdiction, care should be taken to meet the relevant qualification standards in each jurisdiction that applies.
- January 1, 2015 (revised March 23, 2015), CAS Continuing Education (CE) Policy (.pdf)
- Sample Log of continuing education activity
- Log on to www.MyTRACE.org and track your continuing education credits with TRACE.
- Log onto CCA's CPD/CE Tracking Tool and track your CE credits with it
- CAS CE Compliance Audit Procedures
- Related Articles from the Actuarial Review
- CAS Revises Continuing Education (CE) Policy - Actuarial Review, January-February 2015