Actuaries have a responsibility to scrutinize the processes, systems and models we build to understand if the inputs and outcomes truly reflect fair and equitable practices. As part of the CAS strategic approach to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the CAS has developed an Approach to Race and Insurance Pricing, with activities in four key areas of Education, Research, Leadership and Collaboration. This work will enable our community of subject matter experts to proactively engage with the insurance industry as it addresses issues of potential racial bias over the coming years.
CAS Research Papers
Access research produced by CAS members and staff related to Race and Insurance Issues
- Insurance Rating Variables: What They Are and Why They Matter
- Watch this space for more in 2021
- Defining Discrimination and Disparate Impact
- Race and Rating Factors
- Solutions in Financial Services
- Market Outcomes of Regulation
- Quantifying Disparate Impact
Collaboration on Industry Research
CAS appreciates the opportunity to partner with and review research performed by other insurance industry organizations.
- National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC): Matching Rate to Risk: Analysis of the Availability and Affordability of Private Passenger Automobile Insurance
Questions or Comments?