Current Research Projects
There are a number of ways CAS conducts research, the most popular being Call Paper Programs, Requests for Proposals and Working Parties. Active projects can be found on this page, including those in which CAS is working cooperatively with other organizations. A complete list of all CAS Research Projects currently underway with full descriptions can be found in the CAS Annual Research Report. For information on recently completed research projects, please go to our Past Projects page. If you have an idea for a project, please feel free to suggest an idea through our submission form.
Call Paper Programs
Committees use this method to increase literature on specific topics. A program operates on either a one-year or two-year cycle. Finished papers end up published in the E-Forum and are often presented at CAS Meetings and Seminars.
- 2015 Non-Technical Reserves Call Paper Program
- 2015 Reinsurance Call for Papers
- 2015 Call for Ratemaking Research Papers
- Call for Chapters – Volume 2 of Predictive Modeling Applications in Actuarial Science Textbook
Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
This process is used when there is a specific research question identified by a committee. Proposals are then sought from researchers to answer that research question.
- Request for Proposals for An Expert Review of the Theory Development and Computer Software for Specific Allocations
- North American Actuarial Council Issues RFP on Health Expectancy [PDF]
- Request for Proposals: Allocation of the Costs of Holding Capital
- Request for Proposals: Medicare Secondary Payer Status – The Current and Future Impact on Workers Compensation
- Determining the Impact of Climate Change on Insurance Risk and the Global Community-Phase II Request for Proposals
- Regulatory Risk and North American Insurance Organizations Request for Proposals
- Request for Proposal Application of Property-Casualty Actuarial Methodologies to Credit Risk: Development of a Theory and Model
- Request for Proposal Credit Risk Resources Compendium
The Actuarial Foundation
A joint project of CAS, SOA, and CIA, the Actuarial Foundation coordinates research projects across organizations. Grants from the participating organizations are awarded to researchers through the annual Individual Grants Competition.
UK GIRO (General Insurance Research Organising Committee)
The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries in the United Kingdom often looks for CAS member involvement in its research working parties. Opportunities will be posted when open.
Working Papers are works still in development. Authors put their works-in-progress up on the CAS site and solicit suggestions from readers.
Working Parties and Task Forces are formed, usually under the guidance of a Research Committee, with the specific charge to produce a research product or solve a research goal in a specified timeframe to help the CAS address long-standing research problems. The end result of a Working Party is often a written research paper or software.