Research & Development Committees, Subcommittees and Working Parties
Find descriptions and rosters of all research-related groups in which CAS members volunteer. CAS has committees on such varied topics as reserving, ratemaking, risk, data management, and climate change.
Research & Development Committees
Committees are important to the future of CAS. Run by volunteers, they help further the development and dissemination of information in their area of expertise; monitor similar organizations, professional developments and regulatory activities; and sponsor panels, seminars or other professional education opportunities.
Working Parties and Task Forces
Working Parties and Task Forces are formed, usually under the guidance of a Research Committee, with the specific charge to produce a research product or solve a research goal in a specified timeframe to help the CAS address long-standing research problems. The end result of a Working Party is often a written research paper or possible demonstration software.
Recently, more member-driven Working Parties that work independently from the standard committee structure have been started. These result from ideas submitted by members at CAS meetings and seminars and are expected to complete their charge within one or two years of implementation. These Working Parties are designated below by the meeting/seminar at which they started.
- Agricultural Insurance in Asia Working Party (2015 Annual Meeting)
- Automated Vehicles Task Force
- Claims Level Analytics Working Party (2015 Annual Meeting)
- Cyber Risk Task Force
- HPL Exposure Working Party (2015 Annual Meeting)
- Inflation Sensitive Exposure Bases Working Party (2016 Casualty Loss Reserve Seminar)
- Microinsurance Working Party (2015 Annual Meeting)
- Optimal Reinsurance in Several Layers Working Party (2016 Annual Meeting)
- Predictive Analytics in Capital Modeling Working Party (2016 Annual Meeting)
- Research Grants Task Force (Research Oversight Committee)
- Responsible Modeling Working Party
- Superforecasting Working Party (2015 Annual Meeting)
- Sustainable ERM Working Party (2015 Annual Meeting)
Joint Research Committees and Groups
The Society of Actuaries (SOA), Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) and Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) jointly sponsor the Risk Management Section. The purpose of the Risk Management Section is to further the education and research in the area of risk management and establish leading risk management techniques.
The North American Actuarial Council Collaborative Research Group
Formed in 2009, the North American Actuarial Council (NAAC) Collaborative Research Group works to coordinate and partner on important research activities among these North American actuarial organizations: the CAS, SOA, the Academy, CIA, Conference of Consulting Actuaries, Actuarial Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries, the Asociación Mexicana de Actuarios, the Asociación Mexicana de Actuarios Consultores and the Colegio Nacional de Actuarios of Mexico.