Dickson Elected to Risk Management Section Council
Kevin Dickson, a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society, was elected to the Council of the Risk Management Section, a joint section of the CAS and SOA. Dickson will begin his three-year term at the close of the SOA Annual Meeting on November 16, 2005.
The mission of the Risk Management Section is to advance the actuarial profession by assisting members of the Section with the education, research, networking, and other specialized needs that arise in the risk management area of actuarial practice. The Section Council is responsible for carrying out this mission by directing and managing the activities of the Sections.
The Section's primary objectives for the current year are:
- Expand ERM educational opportunities for Section and SOA members, especially in areas where we have not traditionally had training, such as operational risk and credit risk.
- Continue to foster risk management research.
- Support the initiatives in promoting the actuarial profession as risk managers.
"I'm very excited about the opportunity the Joint Section represents for both CAS and SOA members. We've always shared a common skill set and now we share a common mission as well," said Dickson. "I strongly encourage casualty actuaries to explore the many ways to become involved in the Section. You don't need to be an expert risk manager-just jump right in."
Members of the CAS and SOA are eligible to join the Section. For only $20 annual dues, membership benefits include:
- Risk Management, the Section newsletter focusing on topical articles and the latest on risk management activities;
- Invitations to Section social/networking events;
- Mailings/e-mail communications announcing upcoming research, projects, continuing education events, and other activities.
Member status provides voting privilege and eligibility for election to the Section council. An application form is available on the CAS Web Site.