2009 Reinsurance Call for Papers – deadline for proposals extended to September 22, 2008
The CAS Committee on Reinsurance Research is sponsoring a call for papers relating to reinsurance. Authors of accepted papers may be invited to present their work at the 2009 CAS Seminar on Reinsurance scheduled for May 18-19, 2009 in Bermuda. Accepted papers will be published in the CAS E-Forum. Papers submitted in response to the call will be considered for the Reinsurance Prize. The amount of the Reinsurance Prize is currently $2,000. Both CAS members and non-members are invited to submit proposals for papers.
The Committee welcomes papers on any reinsurance-related topic. Topics of current interest may include:
- The impact on reinsurers of the subprime mortgage debacle.
- The move away from US GAAP and towards International Accounting Standards.
- Rising inflation and its impact on reinsurance.
- Risk Transfer in reinsurance contract, including the impact of parameter risk
Call Paper Timetable: Timely submission of the papers is critical to the success of the program. The procedures and timetable enumerated below will apply.
- Deadline for Proposals By September 22, 2008, authors should submit proposals including the title, a short description of the topic(s) to be addressed, and the approach that will be taken. Proposals, along with authors’ contact information, should be submitted via e-mail to the Casualty Actuarial Society at firstname.lastname@example.org, Please put "2009 Reinsurance Call Paper Proposal" in the subject line of the e-mail message.
- Acceptance of Proposals By September 29, 2008, the Committee will make a decision on all proposals. The number of accepted proposals might be limited. The Committee will contact authors regarding their proposals.
- Monitoring Progress A Committee member will be assigned to work with each author to monitor the paper's progress and provide general guidance in completing the paper. Interim drafts, based on a schedule proposed by the author, may be requested.
- By January 9, 2009, a first draft of the completed paper (including an abstract of no more than 200 words) will be submitted to the assigned Committee member for review and comments.
- By February 2, 2009, all comments on the first draft will have been forwarded to the author.
- Completion Date By February 23, 2009, the Committee on Reinsurance Research must receive the completed paper with a 200-word abstract. Authors should also provide the classifications for their papers based on the CAS Research Taxonomy. Each paper will be screened by the Committee to assure its quality of exposition and relevance to the call. The Committee may require further rewriting of the paper to bring it to an acceptable standard.
- Approving the Completed Paper By March 9, 2009, all authors will have been notified as to the results of this screening process. Before that time, the Committee will try to give authors time to respond to comments from the screening process. Accepted papers will be published in the CAS E-Forum and will be available on the CAS Web Site prior to the 2009 Seminar on Reinsurance. Authors may be invited to present their papers at the Seminar on Reinsurance, scheduled for May 18-19, 2009 in Bermuda. These authors will be contacted in advance of the meeting regarding their presentations.
- Prize Competition All papers submitted and accepted in response to the call and meeting the minimum standards established by the Committee will be included in the Reinsurance Prize competition. A prize fund of $2,000 is available for papers submitted in response to the call. If awarded, prizes will be presented to the author(s) at the 2009 Seminar on Reinsurance. The criteria for evaluation will reflect:
- Originality of ideas;
- Clarity of presentation;
- Contribution to reinsurance literature; and,
- Thorough treatment of those ideas.
- Submission Guidelines Papers must be no more than 10,000 words and should be prepared in accordance with the Research Paper Template, and the procedures in the Guide for Submission to CAS E-Forum on the CAS Web Site. Additional guidance for the preparation of technical papers for publication is provided in the Guides for the Submission of Papers on the CAS Web Site. Authors will be required to execute a "Permission to Publish" form, which formally grants the CAS permission to publish the paper. Authors are encouraged to submit working templates in spreadsheet form for models or methods discussed or developed in their papers and/or PowerPoint presentations incorporating the details of the paper's calculations. The spreadsheets and presentations will be posted on the CAS Web Site along with the paper. It is hoped that the authors will also submit their papers for publication in Variance in accordance with the procedures. However, acceptance of a paper for this program does not guarantee its acceptance for publication in Variance.
The Committee on Reinsurance Research looks forward to receiving proposals in response to the call, and is happy to respond to inquiries from interested parties. Questions may be addressed to the Committee on Reinsurance Research via e-mail at email@example.com. Your participation in this effort to produce new papers will contribute to the written body of knowledge for the CAS and to the success of the 2009 Reinsurance Call Paper Program.