The Enterprise Risk Management Symposium offers a number of general and concurrent sessions of interest to health actuaries. In addition, a special concurrent session will explore the differences in the current state of development of risk management topics for the health insurance industry and the unique solutions health insurance may require.
TUESDAY, JULY 29
1:30 P.M. - 2:45 P.M.
G1: Chief Risk Officers Roundtable
For those interested in the role played by Chief Risk Officer or currently employed in such positions.
3:00 P.M. - 4:15 P.M.
CS-4 Outside Perspective of ERM Form Regulators, Rating Agencies, and Analysts
Assessment of enterprise risks for the industry and the extent to which ERM structures aids in their evaluation of a company.
4:30 P.M. - 5:45 P.M.
CS-2 Value Of ERM
Case studies of ERM in practice.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 30
8:00 A.M.-12:15 P.M.
Special Concurrent Session for Health Actuaries
- Health Entity Risks
- Differences from Life and P&C
- Pricing and Trends
- Operational Risks (Including Provider Network Risk)
- Risk Management Background and Definitions
- Current state: What tools are being applied in Life and P&C Companies? What tools are relevant to health carriers?
- Differences by industry sector
- Capital Management
- Capital requirements: regulatory and beyond
- Capital allocation for health entities
- Financial management and budgeting models
- Dynamic and stochastic models
- Integration of budgets and modeling
- Financial Reporting
- Different audiences: regulators, analysts, shareholders
- Actuarial memorandums
- Asset adequacy analysis
- Short- vs. long-term perspectives
- Discussion Forum
- What is the current state of ERM for health carriers?
- What models are being used?
- What are the unique issues faced by health carriers?
- Developing a consistent dialogue with the rest of the industry
1:15 P.M. -2:30 P.M.
Discussion of the impact of corporate governance reforms on how companies do business
2:45 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
CS-23 Integrated Health Benefits- An ERM Perspective
Discussion of the concept of integrated benefits, the tools available to manage an integrated benefits program, and the implications for reducing enterprise risk and overall benefit costs.
4:15 P.M. - 5:30 P.M.
G2: Ask the Experts
General questions and answer session offering a wrap-up to the Symposium
Panelists/facilitators for the special concurrent session for health actuaries include:
- Jim Drennan, Principal, Reden & Anders, Ltd.
- Darrell Knapp, Partner, Ernst & Young LLP
- John Lloyd, Senior Manager, Ernst & Young, LLP
- John Stark, Director and Actuary, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield