CAS Course on Professionalism
The Boston, Chicago and Washington DC COPs are sold out. If you wish to be placed on the wait list please contact Leanne Wieczorek.
Updated January 13, 2014
COP Registration Announcement
Registration for the June 2014 Courses on Professionalism will open at Noon (ET) on Monday, January 13, 2014 for candidates with 5 (five) or more exams in the 2014 education structure. Regular registration will begin on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at Noon (ET) and is open to all eligible candidates. Prior to registration, candidates are encouraged to:
- Verify your CAS login ID. Contact James Mundia for assistance in setting up your online ID prior to registration day.
- Verify your "Candidate's Education and Examination Status (CEES)" prior to registration day. Should your CEES not be up-to-date contact Danelle Gee for assistance.
- Read and follow the registration guidelines.
To be eligible for the CAS Course on Professionalism, a Candidate must have EITHER:
- Credit for any four actuarial exams AND credit for any four of the following five requirements: (Online Course 1, Online Course 2, VEE-Applied Statistical Methods, VEE-Corporate Finance, or VEE-Economics)
- Credit for any five actuarial exams in the current education structure—regardless of Internet courses or VEE status.
Note: Exams 3F, LC, and ST together count as one exam only; For candidates with credit for Exam 3L from the prior-to-2014 education structure, Exams 3F and 3L together count as one exam only.
Registrations for the June 2014 Courses will be taken in the following order:
- Early registration, beginning at Noon (ET) on January 13 through Noon (ET) January 15, 2014) will be open only to those candidates with 5 (five) or more exams under the 2014 education structure (i.e. those meeting eligibility requirement (b) above).
- Regular registration begins January 15 at Noon (ET) for all eligible candidates.
Candidates may register online and via fax.
- To register online candidates should
- verify their "Candidate's Education and Examination Status",
- go to the pre-registration website,
- Chicago, IL- Sold Out
- Washington, DC - Sold Out
- Boston, MA - Sold Out
- read and agree to the registration statement,
- continue to the registration page and complete the online registration process*.
- To register via fax,
PLEASE DO NOT DUPLICATE YOUR REGISTRATION BY USING MULTIPLE REGISTRATION OPTIONS.
*Note: The CAS office will verify the exam status for all registering candidates. If the CAS office determines that a candidate does not meet the eligibility requirements noted above the registration will be considered null and void, charged a $100 processing fee, and will not be held for future registration.
Summer 2014 Course on Professionalism
All registered candidates will be required to view presentations on each of the ASOPs before attending the in person course. These presentations, termed e-modules, consist of a series of slides with audio to guide you through the ASOP presentations. Each presentation contains questions placed throughout the slides that will need to be answered correctly in order to proceed and complete the presentation. Completion of each e-module for each candidate will be tracked by the CAS; in order to successfully complete the Course on Professionalism all presentations must be viewed by June 1, 2014.
A link for these presentations will be emailed to you in your confirmation email. This requirement will take approximately 2.5 hours in total to complete. Additional pre readings will need to be completed in addition to the e-module requirement.
COURSE DATES AND LOCATIONS:
|June 12-13, 2014||June 23-24, 2014||June 30- July 1, 2014|
Chicago, IL Sold Out
Hyatt Regency Chicago
151 East Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601
Room Rate: $209 single/double, plus tax/fees
Group Name: CAS Course on Professionalism
Phone Reservations: (888)421-1442
(Reference Casual Actuarial Society
Online reservations: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/CasualActuarialSociety2013
To receive the CAS group rate hotel reservations must be made by May 12, 2014.
|Boston, MA Sold Out
The Hyatt Boston Harbor
101 Harborside Drive
Boston, MA 02128
Room Rate: $219 single/double, plus tax/fees (no resort fee)
Group Name: CAS Course on Professionalism
To receive the CAS group rate hotel reservations must be made by May 4, 2014.
|Washington DC Metro Area Sold Out
The Westin Arlington Gateway
801 N Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203
Room Rate: $169 single/double, plus tax/fees
Group Name: CAS Course on Professionalism
To receive the CAS group rate hotel reservations must be made by May 30, 2014.
*PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL ARRANGMENTS UNTIL YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL OF CONFIRMATION FROM LEANNE WIECZOREK, CAS MEETING PLANNER. THE CAS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FEES ASSOCIATED WITH TRAVEL ARRANGMENTS.
Canadian Candidates should note that the CAS Course on Professionalism only satisfies the CIA eligibility requirement for ACIA and FCIA when the CAS course is held in Canada, and when it includes appropriate Canadian content. None of the June 2014 programs will satisfy the CIA requirement. The Committee on Professionalism is working to provide more course opportunities for Canadian candidates that will satisfy both the CAS and CIA requirements.
Attendance at each Course is limited to 60 participants, and sellouts do occur. Course applications will be accepted in the order in which they are received, and a confirmation will be emailed to registrants after the registration payment is processed. Please allow the CAS office one week to process your registration. A receipt will be sent via email to all registrants. It is advisable to not make your travel arrangements until receiving confirmation of successful registration. If you are concerned about your registration reaching the CAS Office in a timely fashion, please register online.
The early registration fee for the COP is $775 (US). Registrations received after May 15, 2014 will incur a late fee of $100.00.
All candidates are expected to be on time for all sessions and remain at the Course until the end of the second day in order to receive credit for the Course. Please note the full course schedules below. The US courses will start at 8:00 AM each day and the first day will end at 5:00 PM and the second day will end at 12:30 PM. Attending the luncheon with speaker is required to successfully complete the course.
Registration fees will be refunded for cancellations received by May 15, 2014 less a $100 processing fee. Only written cancellations will be honored, and they will be accepted by fax at (703) 276-3108 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The attire for the Course is business casual (no denim and no shorts), and as meeting room temperatures vary, we recommend that you bring a sweater or jacket to the Course.
If you have any questions or need additional information, contact the CAS Office at (703) 276-3100 or via email at email@example.com.
Candidates must successfully complete the Course on Professionalism to achieve the designation: Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society.
The Course on Professionalism is designed to make the candidate aware of the requirements of the CAS, CIA, and AAA regarding the conduct of the actuary in the performance of his or her duties. After working through the pre-work and taking the Course, the candidate completing the Course should know:
- What the Code of Professional Conduct is and how to apply it in everyday work.
- The importance of the applicability of the Code of Professional Conduct to members of the profession at all levels and areas of practice.
- What Standards of Practice and Statements of Principles are, which are applicable to the casualty actuary, and who is responsible for promulgating them.
- The potential consequences of violations of the Code of Professional Conduct or Standards of Practice.
- The function of the Actuarial Standards Board and the Actuarial Board for Counseling and Discipline (ABCD).
- How to contact the ABCD for counseling or to report possible violations.
- The requirements for continuing professional education including the Qualification Standards for actuaries issuing Statements of Actuarial Opinion.
Updated 26 Jan 2012
The Committee on Professionalism Education, which is responsible for developing the Course on Professionalism (COP), has developed the following four year rotating schedule for COP locations. The Committee has selected these cities and rotation in an effort to best serve the candidate audience. As a reminder, candidates should never make travel arrangements prior to registering and receiving a registration confirmation from the CAS. The rotating location schedule is merely offered as an advance planning tool and is subject to change.
|Summer 2013||Summer 2014||Summer 2015||Summer 2016|
|San Francisco||Washington DC||Seattle||Montreal|
|Winter 2013||Winter 2014||Winter 2015||Winter 2016|
|Atlanta||Orlando, FL||Atlanta||Ft. Lauderdale|
|San Antonio||Las Vegas||San Diego||Las Vegas|