The Reserves Committee addresses actuarial issues related to reserves associated with property and casualty exposures including loss and loss adjustment expense reserves, premium reserves and other contingent reserves. The committee's charge includes furthering the development and dissemination of reserving theory, principles and practices; identifying reserving topics for research and discussion; and monitoring professional development and regulatory activities. The committee strives to maintain a balanced and diverse membership in terms of geography, employment (insurer/consultant/regulator), and background (personal/commercial/reinsurance) with significant and current reserving experience being a pre-requisite for membership.
- RESNET - An email list regarding P&C reserving topics. Subscribers are free to discuss any topic that might be of interest to people who have reserving in common.
- Reserves Committee Subgroups and Working Parties
- Bornhuetter-Ferguson: Initial Expected Losses Working Party - A working party created to produce a paper regarding the initial expected loss assumption in the Bornhuetter-Ferguson reserving method.
- Tail Factors Working Party – A working party created to survey existing literature on tail factors and then identify additional methods in use in order to educate students and to help practitioners.
- Reserving Practice Area Web Page Subgroup – A subgroup created to keep the reserving areas of the CAS Web site, including committee pages and practice areas, updated.
- Reserving Practice Area Page
Jon Michelson, Co-Chairperson
Andrew Chandler, Co-Chairperson
- Reserves Committee Call for Papers
- 2012 Reserves Call Papers
- 2010 Reserves Call Papers
- 2008 Reserves Call Papers
- 2006 Reserves Call Papers
- 2004 Reserves Call Papers
- 2003 Reserves Call Papers
- 2002 Reserves Call Papers
- 2001 Reserves Call Papers—Reserving in a Changing Environment
- 2000 Reserves Call Papers—Emerging Insurance Issues
- 1999 Reserves Call Papers—Evaluation of Non-Loss Reserves
- 1998 Reserves Call Papers—Best Estimates for Reserves
- 1997 Reserves Call Papers—Measuring the Performance of Reserving Methods
- 1996 Reserves Call Papers—Workers Compensation Reserving & Mega Risk Liabilities
- 1994 Reserves Call Papers—Environmental Liability
- Recipients of the Ronald Bornhuetter Loss Reserve Prize for best paper