Enterprise Risk Management Web Site
The CAS conducts a number of ERM sessions at its meetings and seminars. You may search the PE Archives for handouts and/or recordings of all our recent meetings and seminars.
The Society of Actuaries (SOA), Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) and Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA) jointly sponsor the Risk Management Section. The purpose of the Risk Management Section is to further the education and research in the area of risk management and establish leading risk management techniques. These efforts should help to increase the profile of the actuarial profession as being leaders in this field and should be rigorous and based on sound principles such that the resulting techniques are broadly transportable across disciplines and industries. Recent research includes regulatory risk, emerging risks, and other risk management issues.
The purpose of the ERM Symposium is to provide thought leadership to professionals and practitioners working in Enterprise Risk Management, including discussion of risk topics and challenges across a broad spectrum of industries, as well as to support the development of professionalism and best practices among ERM practitioners without regard to industry, sector or geography. Started in 2003, the ERM Symposium meets annually in either Chicago or the Washington, D.C. area. Handouts and recordings from past ERM Symposium are available (link to archives). Since 2008, there has been a special ERM Call for Papers program linked to the Symposium whose papers are published annually as monographs.
Historical CAS ERM Documents and ERM Education Resources
- Member Advisory Panel Survey on ERM
- CAS ERM Vision
- Making the CAS an Exemplar Non-Profit ERM Organization by Developing Best Practices and an ERM Process
- IAA Note on Enterprise Risk Management for Capital and Solvency Purposes in the Insurance Industry (.pdf)
- ERM Overview Document (.pdf)
- ERM Committee Reviews Financial Risk Management Texts
- ERM Definition and Framework (.pdf)
- ERM Bibliography (.pdf)
- ERM Learning Objectives (.pdf)
- Report of the CAS Advisory Committee on Enterprise Risk Management
- Links to Related Web Sites
- December 3, 2015 Joint Risk Management Section: Catch-up with Solvency II Webcast