Syllabus of Basic Education
Note: The Syllabus of Basic Education is available as HTML or PDF files (where indicated).
If you are having trouble viewing the 2017 syllabus PDF please make sure your cache has been cleared in your web browser. The cache may be pulling the previous sittings syllabi.
Principles of the Casualty Actuarial Society for Basic Education
Syllabus Goals and Objectives
Education and Examination System
Announcements for 2017
2017 CAS Basic Education Summary
2017 CAS Examination Schedule*
Blooms TaxonomyStudy Resources
Course on Professionalism
- Online Course 1—Risk Management and Insurance Operations*
- Online Course 2—Insurance Accounting, Coverage Analysis, Insurance Law, and Insurance Regulation*
- Exam 1—Probability
- Exam 2—Financial Mathematics
- Exam 3F—Models of Financial Economics
- Exam 4—Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
- Exam S—Statistics and Probabilistic Models
- Exam 5—Basic Techniques for Ratemaking and Estimating Claim Liabilities
- Exam 6—Regulation and Financial Reporting (Nation Specific)
- Exam 7—Estimation of Policy Liabilities, Insurance Company Valuation, and Enterprise Risk Management
- Exam 8—Advanced Ratemaking
- Exam 9—Financial Risk and Rate of Return
The Syllabus for each examination is defined in the form of Learning Objectives, Knowledge Statements, and Readings. The Learning Objectives present the learning goals for the underlying subjects being tested and set forth, usually in broad terms, what the candidate should be able to do in actual practice. The Knowledge Statements describe the body of knowledge corresponding to the exam subject and are illustrative of the scope of each Learning Objective. The Readings are recommended resources that support the Learning Objectives and may assist candidates to prepare for the examination. The CAS is not responsible for any errors or omissions found in the content of the resources identified in the Readings.