September 1997 For the Candidates of the Casualty Actuarial Society Volume 3, No. 3
Important Dates to Remember
Fall Examination Deadlines
Registration Deadline for Fall Examinations
September 18, 1997
Deadline for Change of Examination Center and Late Registration
October 7, 1997
Refund Request Deadline
November 10, 1997
Analysis Request Deadline
January 30, 1998
CAS Unveils New Examination Structure
The CAS will implement a revised examination structure beginning with the CAS Spring 2000 Examinations. Highlights of the changes include the following:
These changes are contained in the "Report of the CAS Task Force on Education." Steven Lehmann, chairperson of the Task Force, presented the report to the CAS Board of Directors in May. Board members accepted the recommendations as the direction of the CAS for the education of the casualty actuary of the future. The Executive Council made a final review in late June and released the official version which contains background information, the educational principles developed to guide the review process, and details of the recommendations including the transition rules and timetable.
- The Syllabus will have nine examinations instead of ten.
- Partitioning will be eliminated.
- Parts 1 and 2 will be combined into a single exam. The statistics portion of Part 2 will be reduced and moved to Exam 3 of the revised Syllabus.
- Numerical analysis Part 3C) will be deleted.
- Nation-specific material will be combined and placed onto a single exam (Exam 7). This will facilitate a more international syllabus.
- Increased emphasis will be placed on assets, investments, valuation, and dynamic financial analysis.
- Material emphasizing memorization of facts will be deleted or reduced.
Inside this Issue
- Transition Rules
- Questions and Answers
- Syllabus Notes
- What It's Like to Work in the Bureau Environment
- CAS Website Update
- Letter to the Editor
- The CAS Code of Professional Conduct
- Results of Spring 1997 CAS Examinations
- News from the CAS Regional Affiliates
- Canadian Student Association Grows
- Textbook Alert
- Sample Solutions for fall exams
About Future Fellows
Student Liaison Committee Mission
© Casualty Actuarial Society. All Rights Reserved.