2018 CAS ELECTION PREFERENTIAL BALLOT AND PETITION FORM FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND PRESIDENT-ELECT
CAS Fellows and Associates are invited to provide input to the development of the ballot for the 2018 CAS elections for Board of Directors and President-Elect, as well as the slate of Vice Presidents for the Executive Council to be appointed by the Board, by suggesting candidates through the Preferential Ballot for consideration by the Nominating Committee.
In addition, Fellows are invited to submit a petition, signed by a specified number of Fellows, to be placed directly on the ballot.
The processes for suggesting candidates through the Preferential Ballot and for submitting a petition to be placed on the ballot are explained in further detail below.
The Nominating Committee invites Fellows and Associates of the CAS to complete the 2018 Preferential Ballot and recommend candidates for leadership positions within the CAS through February 21, 2018. The Preferential Ballot:
- Aids the Nominating Committee in preparing the 2018 slate of candidates for President-Elect and Directors, including appointed Directors. Fellows will vote on the slate of candidates later in 2018.
- Provides input to the Nominating Committee as the Committee considers candidates for the six Vice President positions on the Executive Council. Vice Presidents are recommended to, and then appointed by, the Board of Directors.
The Nominating Committee welcomes your recommendations for candidates for the positions of President-Elect, Vice Presidents, and Directors, and will give consideration to all names submitted.
To assist you in making recommendations, the following information is provided:
- Nominating Guidelines
- List of Former Presidents
- Present and Past Board members
- Other Officers
- CAS Special Appointments
- Committee and Task Force Chairpersons
- Regional Affiliate/Special Interest Section Presidents
- Senior officers or Committee Chairs at the American Academy of Actuaries and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- A summary of the employment type and geographical information for continuing Board of Directors members versus the membership at-large
The preferential ballot may be submitted via the online form. When you submit a recommendation, please complete the leadership skills and attributes section to identify the particular leadership skills you have observed in the candidate you are proposing, with examples where relevant and where you can provide them.
The deadline for the submission of the preferential ballot is February 21, 2018.
Petition for Board of Directors and President-Elect
In addition to the Preferential Ballot process, Fellows may also be placed on the slate of candidates for election by the submission of a petition form and disclosure statement. The Nominating Committee is inviting submissions of petitions for Directors and President-Elect through February 21, 2018.
The petition forms and disclosure statement for the Board of Directors and President-Elect to be placed on the 2018 CAS election ballot are now available. The petition (or group of petitions) to nominate a candidate for the Board of Directors must be signed by 50 Fellows (or more, representing at least 1% of the Fellows). The petition (or group of petitions) to nominate a candidate for President-Elect must be signed by 100 Fellows (or more, representing at least 2% of the Fellows). Upon receipt of the petition form and completed disclosure statement, the candidate will be contacted by the Nominating Committee. Upon confirmation by the Nominating Committee of the candidate’s desire to run for office, the candidate will be included by the Nominating Committee on the 2018 CAS election ballot.
The deadline for the submission of the petition form and disclosure statement for Directors and President-Elect is February 21, 2018.
A complete description of the 2018 CAS Election Process, as approved by the CAS Board of Directors in November 2017, is provided for your information.
The following documents are provided for members who are considering petitioning to be placed on the ballot as a candidate for the Board of Directors and President-Elect:
- President-Elect Position Description
- Board of Directors Position Description
- Board of Directors Attendance Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy and Statement
Thank you for your participation in the 2018 CAS election process.
Sean P. McDermott